Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana Current Affairs - 2020
On February 29, 2020, PM Modi is to distribute assistive aids and devices to senior citizens and Divyangjan. This is the biggest ever distribution camp.
The distribution camp of assistive aids and devices for senior citizens and Divyangjans by PM Modi is being organized by the Ministry of Social Justice. The objective of the event is to propagate information to senior citizens and Divyangjan belonging to Below Poverty Line category about how to face their challenges in day-to-day life.
Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana
The RVY was launched in 2016 at Nellore, Andhra Pradesh. Since then 137 of these device distribution camps have been conducted.
The main aim of the scheme is to provide assisstive aids and devices to senior citizens and Divyangjans.
According to Census 2011, there are 10.38 crores of senior citizens. And of these, more than 70% of them live in rural areas. Therefore, it is essential to take special care towards them through these camps organized under Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana.
Tags: 2011 census • Below Poverty Line • Divyangjans • Pm Modi • Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana
The Union Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment has launched Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana in Nellore District of Andhra Pradesh.
The Scheme aims at providing physical aids and assisted-living devices for senior citizens belonging to Below Poverty Line (BPL) category.
Key Provisions of the Scheme
- The scheme will be distribute free of cost physical aids and assisted-living devices for senior citizens belonging to BPL category in Camp mode.
- It is the first-of-its-kind Central Sector Scheme (CCS) in India, to be fully funded by the Union Government.
- It is expected to benefit 5,20,000 Senior Citizens and its expenditure implementation will be met from the “Senior Citizens’ Welfare Fund“.
- Implementing Agency: Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation (ALIMCO), a PSU under Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. It will also undertake one year free maintenance of the devices.
- Aids and Assisted-Living Devices to be provided under it: The eligible elderly beneficiary will get walking sticks, elbow crutches, walkers/crutches, tripods/qadpods, hearing aids, wheelchair, aificial Dentures and Spectacles depending upon their physical impairment.
- Purpose: The assisted-living devices will help the Senior Citizens to overcome their age related physical impairment and to lead a dignified and productive life with minimal dependence on care givers or other members of the family.
- Identification of beneficiaries: It will be done by the State Governments/UTs through a Committee chaired by the Deputy Commissioner/District Collector. 30% of the beneficiaries in each district shall be women.
- The Committee can utilize the data of BPL beneficiaries receiving Old Age Pension under the NSAP or any other Scheme of the State/UTs for identification of senior citizens belonging to BPL category.
In the Union Budget 2015-16, Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had proposed formulation of a scheme for providing Physical Aids and Assisted-Living Devices to senior citizens belonging to BPL Category. Pursuant to this, “Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana” has been formulated. As per the Census figures of 2011, population of senior citizens in India is 10.38 crore. More than 70% of the population of senior citizens live in rural areas of the country. A sizeable percentage (5.2%) of the senior citizens suffers from some sort of disabilities related to old age.