Real Madrid Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Real Madrid FC won the 2016 UEFA Champions League for the record 11th time by defeating Atletico Madrid FC by 5-3 goals in penalty shootout.
In the final played, both teams scored 1–1 goals in regulation period leading to draw. For the Real Madrid goal was scored by captain Sergio Ramos (15 minutes) and for Atletico Madrid was scored by Yannick Carrasco (79th minutes). In tie-breaker penalty shootout Real Madrid FC scored 5 goals against Atletico Madrid which scored only 3 goals.
Earlier Real Madrid FC had won UEFA Champions League in 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1966, 1998, 2000, 2002 and 2014.
About UEFA Champions League
- UEFA Champions League (simply known as the Champions League) is an annual continental club football competition organised by the UEFA.
- It is contested by top-division European club and is considered as one of the most prestigious tournaments in the world.
- It is also most prestigious club competition in European football, played by the national league champion and for some nations of each UEFA national association.
Cristiano Ronaldo has won the FIFA Ballon d’Or award for year 2014.
He has earned this title of world’s best football player for a third time. Earlier he was conferred with award in 2008 and 2013.
He has retained this highest individual honour in football after scoring 61 goals for Real Madrid and Portugal in 2014. He also had played important role, by making record tally of 17 goals in a Champions League season that helped his club to win an unprecedented 10th European Cup title.
While in women’s section, Germany’s midfielder Nadine Kessler has been awarded FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year title.
FIFA Ballon d’Or Award
- It is an annual football association award given by FIFA to the male player who has performed the best in the previous calendar year.
- This award was instituted in 2010 after France Football’s Ballon d’Or and the men’s FIFA World Player of the Year award were merged.
- It is awarded to the male player, based upon highest votes secured by him from national team coaches and captains, as well as journalists from around the world.
- Inaugural 2010 FIFA Ballon d’Or was awarded to Lionel Messi. Later he won this award for consecutive two years i.e. 2011 and 2012.