Records Current Affairs
Union Government’s ambitious Pratyaksha Hastaantarit Laabh (PAHAL) scheme has been acknowledged as the world’s largest cash transfer program (households) by the Guinness Book of World Records.
Pratyaksha Hastaantarit Laabh (PAHAL) scheme
- The scheme was formally launched as Direct Benefit Transfer Scheme for LPG subsidy in 2013 in 291 districts under the aegis of Union Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
- It was modified and christened as PaHal in November 2014 and was launched in 54 districts. Later it was extended nationwide on 1 January 2015.
- Under the scheme, subsidized liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) cylinders are sold at market rates and consumers are entitled to receive LPG subsidy directly into their bank accounts.
- It is done either through bank account or Aadhaar linkage. Currently it covers more than 9.75 crore LPG consumers across the country.
- The scheme aims at eliminating duplication or bogus LPG connections and its diversion. It also seeks to meet substantive savings in LPG subsidy.
- Success of the scheme: It is attributed to the intensive Information and Education Campaign of Petroleum ministry which comprised of intensive advertising through various means. It is also attributed to dealer level campaigns and direct reaching out to consumers.
World’s largest flag was unfurled at an event in Ong Jmel in the southern desert area of Tunisia.
Tunisian national flag of the size of 19 football pitches was unfurled in a bid to set a Guinness World Record and promote patriotism in the face of Islamist extremism.
In this event hundreds of Tunisian’s participated and an honour guard of troops also saluted the red and on the sand to the strains of the national anthem.
The flag of 104,544 square metre was made using 80 kilometres of fabric and weighed arounf 12.6 tonnes.
The unfurling of world’s largest flag was the brainchild of a local textile manufacturer who had been shocked by a 2012 incident at Manouba arts faculty outside Tunis.
In this incident a hardline student had torn down the national emblem and had replaced it with a black Islamist flag. But fellow lady student attempted to put the national flag back up, the student assaulted her.