Red Sea Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
A study has shown that Fishing, coral reef degradation threaten parrotfish in Andaman.
Fact Box: Bumphead parrotfish
Scientific Name: Bolbometopon Muricatum
IUCN Status: Vulnerable
Findings of the Study
- Protection of coral cover along the existing protected marine areas in the Andaman and Nicobar islands is necessary for the conservation of the endangered Bumphead Parrotfish.
- Large body size, aggregating behaviour and limited activity at night make Bumphead Parrotfish an easy target for spear-fishers.
- Further slow growth and low replacement rates have resulted in population declines across the Indo-Pacific and the Red Sea regions.
- Bumphead Parrotfish occurs unevenly, with most sightings from only two islands, and with an apparently very small density.
- Freediving spear-fishers exclusively target the aggregations of this fish during the night.
- The presence of a protected area, live coral and algal cover, significantly influenced the distribution and abundance of Bumphead Parrot Fish.
- Incidental catch by fishers and degradation of coral reef habitats are two potential threats to the species.
The Study calls to ban night fishing for the species and to implement regulations regarding reef fishing.
Saudi Arabia and Egypt have decided to build bridge connecting each other over the Red Sea to boost trade and commerce.
In this regard, Saudi Arabi has announced that an agreement has been reached with Egypt.
The announcement was made by Saudi Arabia’s king Salman during his official state visit to Egypt. However it was not mentioned where the bridge would be built.
- It is postulated that the joint bridge planned over the Red Sea at the entrance of the Gulf of Aqaba.
- It will be located at the closest point near Nabq, north of Sharm el-Sheikh in Egypt and Ras Alsheikh Hamid in Saudi Arabia where two countries are 16km apart.
- The project has been in the pipeline for several years to connect the two countries from Africa and Asia continents.
- In that plan, the causeway bridge would pass through Saudi Arabia’s Tiran Island, which would serve as a connection between the two countries and continents.