Rice Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare under Union Ministry of Agriculture and farmers Welfare recently released the 3rd Advance Estimates of production of major crops for 2018-19.
Key Highlights of 3rd Advance Estimates
- Based On: The assessment of major production of different crops is based on feedback received by department from States and is validated with information available from other sources.
- For the agricultural year 2018-19, food grains production has been estimated at over 283 million tonnes. This estimation is higher by more than 17 million tonnes than previous five years average production of food grain in country.
- As per third advance estimates, Agriculture Ministry notified estimations for following crops:-
- Rice: total production of rice in country is estimated to be an all-time-high of over 115 million tonnes during 2018-19 crop year, breaking previous record of over 112 million tonnes achieved in 2017-18.
- Wheat: total production of wheat is also estimated at record over 101 million tonnes, which is higher by 1.33 million tonnes as compared to 2017-18 year.
- Pulses: total pulses production is estimated at over 23 million tonnes.
- Oilseeds: production is estimated at 31.42 million tonnes in 2018-19, which is higher by 1.77 million tonnes than past 5 year average production.
- Sugarcane: total production of Sugarcane during 2018-19 is estimated at record 400.37 million tonnes which is an increase by 20.46 million tonnes over 2017-18.
Tags: 3rd Advance Estimates of production of major crops for 2018-19 • Department of Agriculture Cooperation and Farmers Welfare • Oilseeds Production • Pulses production • Rice
The second advance estimates for the production of most of the crops for the agricultural year 2018-19 been released by the Ministry of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare.
Data on Production of Food Crops
Foodgrains – 281.37 million tonnes.
- Rice – 115.60 million tonnes. (record)
- Nutri / Coarse Cereals – 42.64 million tonnes.
- Maize – 27.80 million tonnes.
- Pulses – 24.02 million tonnes.
- Tur – 3.68 million tonnes.
- Gram – 10.32 million tonnes.
Oilseeds – 31.50 million tonnes.
- Soyabean – 13.69 million tonnes
- Rapeseed and Mustard – 8.40 million tonnes
- Groundnut – 6.97 million tonnes
Cotton – 30.09 million bales (of 170 kg each)
Jute and Mesta -10.07 million bales (of 180 kg each)
Sugarcane – 380.83 million tonnes
The report notes that cumulative rainfall during the monsoon season (June to September 2018) was 9% lower than Long Period Average (LPA). The cumulative rainfall in North West India, Central India and South Peninsula during the monsoon period has been overall normal and most of the major crops producing states have witnessed normal monsoon rainfall. As a result, the production of most of the crops for the agricultural year 2018-19 has been estimated higher than their normal production.