Rice Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Economic Survey was tabled by the Finance Minister Nirmala Sitaraman in the Parliament on January 31, 2019. The Survey says that the subsidies under National Food Security Act (NFSA) should be sharply reduced
The Survey suggests that the coverage of the act should be reduced to 20% of the population. On the other hand, these funds should be diverted towards incentivizing environmentally sustainable production. Also, more focus should be laid to replenish the food grain economy that has been riddled due to several economic inefficiencies.
Current Scenario of NFSA
At present, around 67% of the Indian households are entitled to 5 kilograms of subsidized wheat and rice per person per month. Over 800 million are benefitted from food subsidy scheme.
Since the NFSA was introduced in 2013, the expense of food subsidy has increased from 1.1 trillion rupees in 2014-15 to 1.7 trillion rupees in 2018-19
Tags: Economic Survey • economic survey 2020 • Economic Survey Report • Food Security • Food Subsidy
The Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare under Union Ministry of Agriculture and farmers Welfare recently released the 3rd Advance Estimates of production of major crops for 2018-19.
Key Highlights of 3rd Advance Estimates
- Based On: The assessment of major production of different crops is based on feedback received by department from States and is validated with information available from other sources.
- For the agricultural year 2018-19, food grains production has been estimated at over 283 million tonnes. This estimation is higher by more than 17 million tonnes than previous five years average production of food grain in country.
- As per third advance estimates, Agriculture Ministry notified estimations for following crops:-
- Rice: total production of rice in country is estimated to be an all-time-high of over 115 million tonnes during 2018-19 crop year, breaking previous record of over 112 million tonnes achieved in 2017-18.
- Wheat: total production of wheat is also estimated at record over 101 million tonnes, which is higher by 1.33 million tonnes as compared to 2017-18 year.
- Pulses: total pulses production is estimated at over 23 million tonnes.
- Oilseeds: production is estimated at 31.42 million tonnes in 2018-19, which is higher by 1.77 million tonnes than past 5 year average production.
- Sugarcane: total production of Sugarcane during 2018-19 is estimated at record 400.37 million tonnes which is an increase by 20.46 million tonnes over 2017-18.
Tags: 3rd Advance Estimates of production of major crops for 2018-19 • Department of Agriculture Cooperation and Farmers Welfare • Oilseeds Production • Pulses production • Rice