Rio Paralympics Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Deepa Malik has created history by winning silver medal in Women’s shotput at the 2016 Rio Paralympics.
With this she becomes first Indian woman to win a medal at the Paralympics. It is India’s 3rd medal in the ongoing Paralympics games at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Malik had won the silver medal in the shotput F-53 event with her best throw of 4.61m in her six attempts.
In the shotput F-53 event, Bahrain’s Fatema Nedham had won the gold medal with the best throw of 4.76m. Greece’s Dimitra Korokida had won the bronze medal with a throw of 4.28m.
About Deepa Malik
- Deepa Malik was born in Sonipat, Haryana.
- She is associated with Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI) and Himalayan Motorsports Association (HMA).
- She has completed 8 day, 1700-km drive in sub-zero temperatures which included a climb to 18000 feet covering many difficult paths including remote Himalayas, Leh, Shimla and Jammu.
- She is a member of the working group in the formulation 12th five- year plan (2012-2017) on Sports and Physical Education.
- She was nominated on behalf of the Union Sports Ministry by the Planning Commission HRD Division.
Mariyappan Thangavelu has won India’s first gold medal at the 2016 Rio Paralympics. He won the gold medal in the Men’s High Jump T-42 event with jump of 1.89 metres.
With this, Thangavelu became the first Indian high-jumper to win gold at the Paralympics. This was India’s overall third gold at the Paralympics and the first after 12 years.
In addition, India’s Varun Singh Bhati won the bronze medal in same event with the jump of 1.86 metres to finish third. Sam Grewe of United States won the silver medal.
India had won its first ever Paralympics Gold medal in the 1972 Heidelberg Games. It was won by Swimmer Murlikant Petkar.
Besides, India had claimed Gold and Bronze medals at 2004 Athens Paralympics. The Gold medal was won by Javelin thrower Devendra Jhajharia and the Bronze medal was won by Rajinder Singh in powerlifting event. In the last edition of Paralympics held in London in 2012, India had won just a silver medal.