The Union Cabinet has approved constitution of ‘special committee for inter-linking of rivers’ in compliance with a 2012 Supreme Court order.
Decision in this regard was taken in the Union Cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
- The constitution of committee will help in monitoring precious projects to be carried out under its National Perspective Plan, 1980.
- The special committee will submit status-cum-progress report bi-annually to Union Cabinet to facilitate faster and appropriate decisions in the interest of the country.
- The Supreme Court in its final judgement dated February 2012 had given go ahead for inter-linking river project, seeking to transfer water from surplus to water deficit areas in country.
- The apex court had called for formation of a committee to take firm steps and fix a definite time line to lay down the guidelines for completion of feasibility reports or other reports.
- Besides, it had mandated the committee ensure the completion of projects so that the benefits accrue within reasonable time and cost.
- The project is in the pipeline since 1980. It has been touted by the Central Government as one solution to a number of problems.
- It includes making water available for irrigating land, enabling full use of existing irrigation projects; generating power, flood control etc.