Riyad Mahrez (Algerian origin) became the first African footballer to win the Professional Footballers Association’s (PFA) Player of the Year award.
He was presented the award for the 2015–16 season at the Professional Footballers’ Association awards ceremony organised in London.
With this, Mahrez also became the second non-European, after Luis Suarez (Uruguayan striker) to win this prestigious award in the sport of Football.
Besides Dele Alli FC midfielder Tottenham Hotspur was named as the Young Player of the Year for the 2015–16 season.
About Riyad Mahrez
- He is a professional footballer who plays for English club Leicester City and the Algerian national team.
- He has started his sports career as a youth player for French club AAS Sarcelles.
- He began his professional football career in 2009 for the Quimper Kerfeunteun FC only for one season and later moved to Le Havre.
- Mahrez had made his international debut in 2014 by representing Algeria at the 2014 FIFA World Cup and the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations.
About PFA Player of the Year
- It is an annual award given to the player who has been adjudged as the best of the year in English football.
- The winner is chosen by a vote amongst the members of the players’ trade union and the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA).
- The award was first presented in the 1973–74 season and the first winner was r Norman Hunter of Leeds United FC defender.