Rodrigo Duterte Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India and Philippines have signed four agreements in areas of defence, agriculture, small and medium enterprises and tie-up between think-tanks. The defence agreement is to have private and public enterprises to cooperate in the defence sector, including on the off-shore patrolling vessels.
These agreements were signed after bilateral meetings between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte in Manila on sidelines of the ASEAN and related summits that are underway in Philippines capital. It was first bilateral visit by Indian PM to Philippines in 36 years after visit of then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi in 1981, though Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had visited the southeast Asian country in 2007 for ASEAN summit.
PM Modi contributed two Indian rice seed varieties to gene bank of International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) in Philippines which is working towards mitigating global poverty and hunger by improving cultivation of key grain.
He also visited IRRI in Los Banos, an urban locality around 65 km from Manila and interacted with several Indian scientists working there. He also inaugurated ‘rice field laboratory’ named after him as Narendra Modi Resilient Rice Field Laboratory.
Rodrigo Duterte was sworn in as the 16th President of Philippines. He will have tenure of six years.
He was administered oath to the office by the Supreme Court justice at the Malacanang presidential palace
About Rodrigo Duterte
- Born on March 28, 1945 in Maasin, Leyte into a political family with a modest background.
- By profession he is lawyer but later had entered into the politics. In his political career, for the first time he became vice-mayor of Davao in 1986 and mayor in 1988.
- He is the longest-serving mayors in the Philippines and was mayor of Davao City for seven terms, totalling more than 22 years span.
- During his stint as a mayor of Davao, he had played important role in reducing crime rates in the Davao City.
- It had earned him the nickname The Punisher, among the locals due to his successful zero tolerance policies against criminals.
- He also had held a seat in Philippines congress representing Davao City.
- During the Presidential elections, he was nicknamed as Dirty Harry and often was compared to the US presidential candidate Donald Trump.
In the 2016 presidential election of the Philippines, Rodrigo Duterte had emerged victorious by a landslide victory. He had secured 39% (15.36 million) of the votes and was followed by Mar Roxas 23% (9.27 million) votes and Grace Poe with 22% (8.6 million) votes.