ROSCOSMOS Current Affairs - 2020
The Crew Dragon capsule of Space X has successfully docked with the International Space Station.
SpaceX Crew Dragon Capsule
- The demonstration mission is named as Demo-1.
- It was a test mission before it can begin taking US astronauts into space.
- After the successful docking, the crew members of International Space Station opened the hatch of the space capsule and, for the first time, penetrated its interior in space.
- The Dragon Capsule had carried Ripley, a test dummy named after the heroine from Alien Movies, an untethered plush toy, 400 pounds (about 181 kg) of supplies and experiments to the ISS.
- During the mission, Flight computers guided the spacecraft directly into a docking port, unlike the previous cargo Dragon spacecraft that were attached to the space station after captured by a robotic arm.
International Space Station
The International Space Station is a habitable artificial satellite in low Earth orbit. The ISS maintains an orbit with an altitude of between 330 and 435 km (205 and 270 mi) by means of reboost manoeuvres and circles the Earth in roughly 92 minutes and completes 15.5 orbits per day
The ISS programme is a joint project between five participating space agencies: NASA (United States), Roscosmos (Russia), JAXA (Japan), ESA (Europe), and CSA (Canada).
Demo-1 was a dress rehearsal to demonstrate that the vehicle is reliable and safe so that NASA can resume manned flights from US soil this year and reduce its reliance on Russia to ferry its astronauts to the space station since the end of the US space shuttle program in 2011 after a 30-year run.
Tags: Canada • Crew Dragon Capsule • CSA • Demo-1 • ESA
Marathon: Roscosmos to venture into Internet of things (IoT) with the launch of new satellite system
Russia’s state space corporation (Roscosmos) has planned to venture into Internet of things (IoT) with launch of new satellite system named ‘Marathon’. The new satellite system will be part of Russia’s Sphere satellite constellation, which will be fully established by 2026. The number of satellites in Marathon system are not revealed yet. The federation’s GLONASS navigation, a satellite communication system and data relay satellite set-up will be other equipment in the constellation.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has approved Sphere constellation project, which involves the construction and deployment of 640 satellites. There are several segments of the satellite communication. USA’s Iridium has been long operating successfully on voice satellite communications market. OneWeb and Starlink dominate broadband Internet segment. IoT is the third segment of the satellite communication. Work in this segment will be successful if services are provided at lowest prices as the other systems also provide such services as well.
Internet of Things (IoT)
IoT is a network of devices such as smartphones, wearable devices, home appliances and vehicles, connected to internet, which enables these objects to connect and exchange data. Blockchain technology has potential to address security risks to IoT as it provides a shield against data tampering by labelling each block of data.