Rubber Plantations Current Affairs
The Union Government has launched Rubber Soil Information System (RubSIS), an online system for recommending appropriate mix of fertilizers to plantations of rubber growers depending upon their soil nature.
It was launched for Kottayam (Kerela), the largest rubber growing district of India which will be extended to the entire traditional rubber growing region i.e. the states of Kerela and Tamilnadu.
- RubSIS has developed by Rubber Research Institute of India (RRII) under the Rubber Board in collaboration with three other agencies.
- They are Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management, Kerala, National Bureau of Soil Survey and Land Use Planning, ICAR and National Remote Sensing Center, ISRO
- RubSIS brings soil data to the fingerprints of rubber growers and recommends the optimum mix and quantities of chemical fertilizers required for the rubber plantation.
- It is a cost effective tool for sustainable and scientific management of rubber growing soils. Its adoption will prevent indiscriminate use of chemical fertilizers and soil degradation.
- It will also lead to reduction in the cost of production of rubber, increase in productivity and reduction in environmental pollution.