Rural Development Ministry Current Affairs
The Expert Group set up to prepare Socio Economic and Caste Census (SECC) has submitted its report to the Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD). The expert group was headed by former Finance Secretary Sumit Bose.
The objective of the expert group was to study criteria for allocation of resources to States and identification and prioritization of beneficiaries under various programmes using SECC data.
The MoRD will use the SECC data for identification of beneficiaries and generating priority list of beneficiaries under its programmes. Based on it appropriate guidelines were issued for making inter-state allocation to cover households under Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana and Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihood Mission.
Key Observation of the Expert Group
- The use of SECC data and its TIN Number will enable the government to improve the efficacy of its interventions and it will also result in improved outcome.
- However there is need for regular updation and verification of SECC data in order to eliminate the need to mount standalone SECC in long run, which can put additional burden on public resources.
- The SECC has the potential to function as Social Registry Information System (SRIS) from being only census-like socio-economic database. SRIS will have several advantages in implementation of social sector schemes.
- The use of SECC data will lead to better budgetary planning and allocation of resources for various programmes.
The Union Rural Development Ministry and ISRO, Department of Space have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for geo-tagging the assets created under MGNREGA in each gram panchayat.
Annually around 30 lakh assets are created under the rural job schemes across the country. The MoU was signed after the Ministry had decided that the geo-tagging of such assets will be done on a mission mode to monitor rural development.
- The asset created under MGNREGA and other schemes will be completely geo-tagged with photograph through Bhuvan Mobile Platform by Gram Rozgar Sahayak or Junior engineer.
- The geo-tagging of assets will help to check and curb leakages and for effective mapping of terrain for future developmental works.
- It will also help in using of modern space technology for rural development in planning and execution of projects in a transparent manner.
Recently, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had underlined the importance of online recording and monitoring of assets created under various schemes to check leakages and for effective mapping of terrain for future developmental works.
It also had become necessary for online recording and monitoring of assets to ensure quality as huge amount of funds under the recommendations of 14th Finance Commission are now flowing through to Gram Panchayats which will in turn lead to poverty reduction in rural areas.