France has won 2018 FIFA World Cup Football by defeating Croatia by 4-2 goals in the final match held at the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, Russia . It was France’s second World Cup crown after it had own it in 1998 (by defeating Brazil) on home soil. With this, victory France joins Uruguay and Argentina in winning World Cup for a second time. It was Croatia’s first World Cup final appearance and smallest country ever to reach final in the modern era.
Goal Scores: For France, four goals were scored by Mario Mandžukić (Croatia’s self-goal at 18 min), Antoine Griezmann (38 min), Paul Pogba (59 min) and Kylian Mbappe (65 min). For Croatia, two goals were scored by Ivan Perišić (28 min), Mario Mandzukic (69 min).
2018 FIFA World Cup Awards
- Top 4 team rankings: France (1st, Winner), Croatia (2nd, Croatia), Belgium (3rd) and England (4th).
- Golden Ball award: Luka Modric (Croatia).
- Golden Boot award: Harry Kane (England captain) for scoring six goals across six games.
- Golden Glove award: Thibaut Courtois (Belgium).
- FIFA Young Player award: 19-year-old Kylian Mbappe (France).
- FIFA Fair Play Award: Spain for superb disciplinary record.
Next World Cup: Qatar will be hosting next FIFA World Cup in 2022. It will be the first Arab country to host World Cup and it will also for first time it will be held in Middle East region.
FIFA World Cup
It is an international association football competition contested by senior men’s national teams of members of the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), the sport’s global governing body. It is held every four years since the inaugural tournament held in 1930. The total 21 World Cup tournaments played so far have been won by eight national teams. Brazil has won for recode five times and it is only team that has played in every World Cup. Germany and Italy have each won four titles, Argentina, France and Uruguay have won two titles each. England and Spain has won one title each.