Saina Nehwal Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Ace Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal has been appointed as a member of the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) Athletes’ Commission. It is rare honour for an Indian sportsperson.
In this regard, Saina has received a letter to the effect from the IOC President Thomas Bach mentioning that she has been appointed in consultation with Chair of Athletes’ Commission.
The Athletes’ Commission of IOC is chaired by Angela Ruggiero. It comprises nine vice presidents and 10 other members.
About Saina Nehwal
- She is the first Indian to win Olympics medal in Badminton and had achieved this feat by winning the Bronze medal at the London Olympics 2012.
- She is the first Indian to win the World Junior Badminton Championships and was also the first Indian to win a Super Series tournament, by winning Indonesia Open in 2009.
- Awards: Government of India has awarded her with Arjuna Award (2009), Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna (2009–2010), Padma Shri (2010) and Padma Bhushan (2016).
What is International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) Athletes’ Commission?
- The IOC Athletes’ Commission is a body of sportspersons maintained by the IOC for the purpose of representing athletes.
- It was established in 1981 and its creation was codified by the IOC in Rule 21 of the Olympic Charter.
- The athletes commission works as a consultative body and act as link between active athletes and the IOC.
- It makes recommendations to the IOC’s executive bodies. Its chair serves as a member of the IOC Executive Board.
- It meets once or twice a year, and also organises an Athletes’ Forum once every two years.
Ace Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal has won the 2016 Australian Open Super Series Badminton tournament title in women’s singles category.
In the final match played at Sydney, Saina defeated Chinese Sun Yu by 11-21, 21-14, 21-19 score. It was Saina’s first title of year 2016 season and overall second Australian Open title of her career. She won her first Australian Open title in 2014.
On the other hand, Hans-Kristian Vittinghus from Denmark won the Australian Open Badminton Super series title in the men’s singles category. In the final match, Vittinghus defeated Jeon Hyeok-Jin from South Korea. It is Hans-Kristian Vittinghus’ first Australian Open Badminton Super series title.