Sakshi Malik Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Wrestler Sakshi Malik was named as Haryana’s brand ambassador for Beti Bachao, Beti Padao (save daughter, educate daughter) campaign in Haryana.
Sakshi Malik had won bronze medal in wrestling at 2016 Rio Olympics in the 58 kg category. She had created history by becoming first women from India to win Olympics medal in wrestling.
Announcement in this regard was made by Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar after awarding Malik with 2.5 crore rupees and Commendation Certificate.
About Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (BBBP) campaign
- BBBP campaign aims to spread awareness about the declining trend of Child Sex Ratio in the country.
- It aims to generate awareness and improve the efficiency of welfare services meant for women.
- Its main objective is to prevent gender biased sex selective elimination by strict enforcement of laws with stringent punishment to violators.
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD), is the nodal agency for the implementation of the scheme.
The Union Government bestows National Sports Awards every year to recognize and reward excellence in sports in India.
These awards include Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, Dronacharya Award, Arjuna Award, Dhyan Chand Award, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy and Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar .
2016 Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
- It is India’s highest sporting award given for the spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson over a period of four years.
- Recipients are: PV Sindhu (Badminton), Sakshi Malik (Wrestling), Dipa Karmakar (Gymnastics) and Jitu Rai (Shooting).
2016 Dronacharya Award
- It bestowed upon coaches for producing medal winners at prestigious international sports events.
- Recipients are: Nagapuri Ramesh (Athletics),Sagar Mal Dhayal (Boxing), Raj Kumar Sharma (Cricket),Bishweshwar Nandi (Gymnastics), S. Pradeep Kumar (Swimming) and Mahabir Singh (Wrestling).
2016 Arjuna Award
- It is India’s second highest sporting award bestowed upon sportsperson for consistently outstanding performance for four years.
- Recipients are: Rajat Chauhan (Archery), Lalita Babar (Athletics),Sourav Kothari (Billiards & Snooker), Shiva Thapa (Boxing),Ajinkya Rahane (Cricket), Subrata Paul (Football), Rani (Hockey),Raghunath V.R. (Hockey), Gurpreet Singh (Shooting), Apurvi Chandela (Shooting), Soumyajit Ghosh (Table Tennis),Vinesh (Wrestling), Amit Kumar (Wrestling), Sandeep Singh Mann (Para-Athletics) and Virender Singh (Wrestling).
2016 Dhyan Chand Award
- It is bestowed upon sportspersons for life time contribution to sports development.
- Recipients are: Satti Geetha (Athletics), Sylvanus Dung Dung (Hockey) and Rajendra Pralhad Shelke (Rowing).
2015-16 Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy
- It is bestowed upon overall top performing university in inter-university tournaments.
- Recipient: Punjabi University, Patiala.