Sakshi Malik Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The medal winners for India at the Dan Kovlov 2019 wrestling event is listed below:
- Bajrang Punia won gold in the Men’s freestyle wrestling 65kg category.
- Pooja Dhanda claimed gold in the Women’s 59kg category.
- Sakshi Malik claimed silver medal in the Women’s 65kg category.
- Sandeep Tomar claimed silver medal in the Men’s 61kg category.
- Vinesh Phogat claimed silver medal in the Women’s 53kg
The Wrestling event was being held at Ruse, Bulgaria.
The Wrestling event is named after wrestling legend Doncho Kolеv Danev better known by the ring name Dan Kolov. Dan Kolov was a Bulgarian wrestler and he was the first European freestyle wrestling champion from Bulgaria.
Dan Kovlov had between 1,500 and 2,000 fights and won almost all of them and he has registered only three losses in official matches.
Wrestler Sakshi Malik was named as Haryana’s brand ambassador for Beti Bachao, Beti Padao (save daughter, educate daughter) campaign in Haryana.
Sakshi Malik had won bronze medal in wrestling at 2016 Rio Olympics in the 58 kg category. She had created history by becoming first women from India to win Olympics medal in wrestling.
Announcement in this regard was made by Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar after awarding Malik with 2.5 crore rupees and Commendation Certificate.
About Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (BBBP) campaign
- BBBP campaign aims to spread awareness about the declining trend of Child Sex Ratio in the country.
- It aims to generate awareness and improve the efficiency of welfare services meant for women.
- Its main objective is to prevent gender biased sex selective elimination by strict enforcement of laws with stringent punishment to violators.
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD), is the nodal agency for the implementation of the scheme.