Renowned violinist Avasarala Kanyakumari from south India was selected for the prestigious 2016 Sangita Kalanidhi Award.
With this, she becomes first female violinist chosen in the history of this prestigious award. She will be bestowed with the award on January 1, 2017.
She will also preside over the 90th annual conference of the Music Academy scheduled from December 15, 2016 to January 1, 2017.
So far eight male violinists have been bestowed with this award. They are M. Chandrasekaran (2005), M. S. Gopalakrishnan (1997), Papa KS Venkataramiah (1962), TK Jayarama Iyer (1960), T. Chowdiah (1957), Marungapuri Gopalakrishna Iyer (1955), Karur Chinnaswamy Iyer (1950) and Kumbakonam Rajamanickam Pillai (1948).
About Avasarala Kanyakumari
- She is a violinist from South India and specializes in Carnatic music.
- She is native of Vijayanagaram in Andhra Pradesh and has an experience of over 50 years as an accompanist, soloist and teacher.
- She has created seven ragas under the title Saptadri , seven names of Lord Venkateswara of Tirupati, Mahalakshmi, Tirumurti and Bharat.
- Awards and Honours: Padma Shri (2015), Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (2003).
About Sangita Kalanidhi award/title
- Sangita Kalanidhi award/title is a prestigious award bestowed annually upon an expert of Carnatic Music by the Madras Music Academy.
- The award’s name has been derived from Sanskrit which means treasure of Music and art in English. This honour is considered one of the highest awards in Carnatic music.