Sanjay Subrahmanyam Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Indian historian Sanjay Subrahmanyam has won prestigious Dan David Prize of Israel for the year 2019 for his work on inter-cultural encounters between Asians, Europeans and people of North and South America during the early modern era.
Sanjay Subrahmanyam shares the award in the category of ‘past time dimension’ with Prof Kenneth Pomeranz of the University of Chicago.
Dan David Prize
The Dan David Prize is a joint international award given by the Dan David Foundation headquartered at Tel Aviv University. The award was instituted by late Dan David, an international businessman and philanthropist who envisioned a project that would extend beyond traditional academic categorisations.
The Dan David Prize is awarded under three categories namely:
- Past category is generally drawn from the fields of history, archaeology, palaeontology and biography.
- Present from arts, media, policy and economics.
- Future from one of the exact or natural sciences.
For the Year 2019, the awardees were chosen from the three categories for their work:
- Macrohistory: Past category
- Defending democracy: Present
- Combating climate change: Future
The award in the “Present” category for “Defending Democracy” has been won by Reporters without Borders and Prof Michael Ignatieff.
The prize in the “future” category for combating climate change has been won by Christina Figueres, a Costa Rican diplomat
To encourage and foster new generations of scholars, the awardees are required to donate 10 per cent of their prize money towards scholarships for graduate or post-graduate researchers in their respective fields.
Tags: Christina Figueres • Dan David Foundation • Dan David Prize • Prof Kenneth Pomeranz • Prof Michael Ignatieff • Reporters Without Borders • Sanjay Subrahmanyam • Tel Aviv University • University of Chicago
Foremost south Indian classical vocalists Sanjay Subrahmanyam has conferred with prestigious 2015 Sangita Kalanidhi award.
The prestigious award was bestowed upon him by renowned mathematician Manjul Bhargava at 89th annual conference of the Madras Music Academy in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
With this, he became seventh artistes to be conferred with this award before completing 50 years of age. Others are Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar, Musiri Subramania Iyer, Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer, Semmangudi R. Srinivasa Iyer, G.N. Balasubramaniam, M.L. Vasanthakumari and M. Balamuralikrishna
About Sanjay Subrahmanyam
- By profession he is Charted Accountant but in 2000 became full-time musician. He had started performing Carnatic music from 1987.
- Awards: Gaana Padhmam (2013), Vani Kala Sudhakara (2010) and the title Kalaimamani by Tamil Nadu Government (2006) etc.
About Sangita Kalanidhi award/title
- It is a prestigious award bestowed annually upon an expert of Carnatic Music by the Madras Music Academy.
- The award’s name has been derived from Sanskrit which means treasure of Music and art in English. This honour is considered one of the highest awards in Carnatic music.