Sanskrit Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The first ever Sanskrit Bharati Vishwa Sammelan or Sanskrit World Conference was organised in New Delhi from 9 to 11 November 2019. In this first-of-its-kind global conference, thousands of delegates and Sanskrit lovers from across the world participated.
About Sanskrit Bharati Vishwa Sammelan
The three-day mega event provided a platform for discussing ideas, theories and research findings in the ancient Sanskrit language. It was attended by thousands of Sanskrit lovers from 17 countries. The gathering showed that Sanskrit continues to be prevalent in the society as it is used by the people across the country.
It was organised by Samskrita Bharati, a non-profit organisation (NGO) working for the continuing protection, development, propagation and revival of Sanskrit language.
The first day of event witnessed huge footfall including foreigners, students and women. An exhibition titled ‘Sanskriti Pradarshini’ has also been put up, which is displaying manus, models and charts that establish different phases of the development of Sanskrit as a popular language, not only in India but also across the globe.
Tags: Samskrita Bharati • Sanskrit • Sanskrit Bharati Vishwa Sammelan • Sanskrit World Conference
On 2 May 2019, Vice President Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu released postage stamp in New Delhi to commemorate 750th birth anniversary of Sri Vedanta Desikan and his great philosopher’s life and highly valued work.
- Releasing commemorative postage stamps is an initiative to pay tribute to great contributions of visionaries like Sri Vedanta Desikan but it also aims to inspire our younger generation to follow in their footsteps.
- It emphasizes that children must internalize and practice lofty ideals of humanism, peace and compassion propagated by the great saint and spiritual icon.
Sri Vedanta Desikan
- He is one of most prominent preceptors in ‘Sri Vaishnava’ tradition post Ramanuja period.
- He had authored brilliant poems, prose, drama, epics, commentaries, scientific texts and philosophical treatises in many languages, mainly Sanskrit, Tamil, Prakrit and Manipravalam.
- He was a multi-faceted personality which included philosopher, master-teacher (desikan), spiritual teacher, scientist, logician, poet, mathematician, literary genius, linguist, military strategist etc.
- The most essential features of his philosophy is the ‘aspect of inclusion’ which means anyone, irrespective of any caste or creed could join Sri Vaishnava fold. This was a truly democratizing movement in eradication caste distinctions. He truly worked towards shaping our Bharat into a “Jnana Bhoomi”.
- The basis of his spiritual teachings were peace and humanity.
- He has been awarded many titles for his vast range of achievements, including title of ‘kavi tarkika-kesari’ (the lion amongst poets and logicians). He was celebrated as ‘sarva-tantra-svatantra’ (means master of all arts and crafts) and glorified as ‘ramanuja-daya-patram’ (the recipient of Ramanuja’s blessings).
- His written masterpiece ‘Rahasya Traya Sara’, is a treatise on Prapatti (surrendering oneself to divine).
- His great work ‘Paduka Sahasram’ shows his poetic eloquence and his mathematical ingenuity. In two verses of this collection, he gave a solution to mathematical problem that was solved about 500 years later by mathematician, Leonard Euler.
- His works like ‘Silpartha-Saram’, a treatise on sculpture, and ‘Bhugola Nirnayam’, a research text on geography showed his knowledge of the arts and sciences.
- Desikan’s ‘Subhashita Neevi’ contains a fund of moral and ethical advice which are still relevant and practical.
- His authored ‘Aahaara Niyamam’ explains how different food items help in maintaining healthy mind and disease-free life.