Santoor maestro Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma was presented with 2015 Aditya Vikram Birla Kala Shikhar Award for life time achievement.
The prestigious award was bestowed upon him by Maharashtra Governor C Vidyasagar Rao in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
About Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma
- Born: January 13, 1938 in Jammu and Kashmir.
- He is instrumental for making the Santoor a popular Classical Instrument which is folk instrument from Jammu and Kashmir.
- As a master instrumentalist of the Santoor he had recorded his first solo album in 1960.
- Later in 1967, he teamed up with flautist Hariprasad Chaurasia and Brij Bhushan Kabra to produce a concept album Call of the Valley. This album was one of the greatest hits in Indian Classical Music.
- He has composed music for numerous Hindi films and made his debut background music in Hindi film Jhanak Jhanak Payal Baje (1956).
- Awards and Honours: He is recipient of Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (1986), Padma Shri (1991) and Padma Vibhushan (2001).
About Aditya Vikram Birla Kala Shikhar Award
- The award has been instituted in 1996 by the Sangit Kala Kendra headed by Rajashree Birla.
- Few of the past recipients of the award are Lata Mangeshkar, Pt Bhimsen Joshi, Pt Jasraj, Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra, Pt Ram Narayan, M F Hussain etc.
- The Sangit Kala Kendra was founded in 1973 by late industrialist Mr Aditya Vikram Birla to encourage and nurture the various visual and performing arts.