Sarabjit Singh Marwah Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India born Sarabjit Singh Marwah has become the first Sikh to be appointed to the Canadian Senate (upper house). He was among six people from Ontario who have appointed to Senate by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
With this, he becomes the only Indian-origin member of the Canadian Senate. He is third Sikh person in the Canadian parliament after Defence Minister Harjeet Sajjan and Science Minister Navdeep Bains. There are over 20 MPs of Indian origin the Canadian House of Commons (lower house).
About Sarabjit Singh Marwah
- Marwah was born in 1952 in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- He is an alumnus of Delhi’s St Stephen’s College and the Delhi School of Economics and holds an MBA degree from the University of California.
- Marwah joined Scotiabank as a financial analyst in Toronto in 1978. Later on he went on to become the Chief operating Officer (COO) of the bank in 1998.
- In 2002, he was made the bank’s senior executive vice president and chief financial officer (CFO). In 2005, he was elevated as the vice chairman and chief administrative officer.
- In 2008, he was re-designated as vice chairman and COO of the bank the positions which he held till his retirement in 2014.
- He is one of the founders of the Sikh Foundation of Canada that promotes Sikh culture and art among the diaspora community.