Saudi Arabia Current Affairs - 2020
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was conferred Saudi Arabia’s highest civilian honour- the King Abdulaziz Sash.
The prestigious award was bestowed upon Indian Prime Minister by incumbent Saudi Arabia’s King Salman bin Abdulaziz at the Royal Court.
About King Abdulaziz Sash
- The award has been named after Abdulaziz Al Saud, the founder of the modern Saudi state.
- The award is bestowed upon citizens of Saudi Arabia and foreigners for meritorious service to the Saudi Kingdom. King himself makes awards to foreigners.
- World leaders who have received the honour include US President Barack Obama, Russian President Vladimir Putin, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, British Prime Minister David Cameron and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi.
Tags: awards • Current Affairs 2016 • Narendra Modi • Persons in News • Saudi Arabia
An international team of biologists have discovered a new species of hydroid polyps emitting green fluorescence in the Red Sea.
These species were found during the investigations of the biodiversity of coral reefs of the archipelago Farasan south of the Red Sea near Saudi Arabia.
- These hydroid polyps ( also called hydrozoas) are presumably a new species of the genus Cytaeis whose body length reaches 1.5 mm.
- They were found to be emitting green light in association with the gastropod Nassarius margaritifer in the night.
- The new species are living in colonies as garlands of ‘fluorescent lanterns’ and emitting a green glow around the mouth of polyps may attract prey.
Fluorescence: It is a glow of some pigments or proteins under light illumination. It generally fades instantly after the end of the illumination.