Science & technology Current Affairs - 2020
World’s first solar powered aircraft on global journey- Solar Impulse 2 successfully landed in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
The aircraft was piloted by Swiss pilots Bertrand Piccard and Andre Borschberg from its first halt Muscat, Oman.
Key features of Solar Impulse 2 aircraft
- It is a Swiss long-range solar-powered aircraft project and claimed to be first aircraft to fly day and night without consuming conventional fuel.
- Solely propelled by the solar energy and emits zero Carbon Dioxide (CO2).
- Structure: Single-seater aircraft made of carbon fibre. It has a 72 metre wingspan and weighs 2,300 kilo grams.
- Solar cells: 17,248 solar cells inbuilt into its wings. These cells supply renewable energy to propel the electric motors of aircraft.
- These solar cells also recharge 4 lithium polymer batteries mounted on aircraft which allows it fly at night.
The first test flight of the aircraft was conducted in the United States in 2013.
Solar Impulse’s maiden global journey
- Solar impulse started its 35000 km long journey from Abu Dhabi (UAE). Its first halt was in Muscat (Oman).
- Flight route and Stops- It will stop in Ahmedabad and Varanasi in India, Mandalay (Myanmar), Chongqing & Nanjing (China).
- Then it will cross Pacific Ocean via Hawaii and fly across the US and take 3 stops at Phoenix, the Midwest and New York City.
- Then it will cross Atlantic Ocean and stop in Southern Europe or North Africa and end its journey at Abu Dhabi.
It should be noted that the Solar Impulse 2 is flying from west to east on the selected route as per the direction of tailwinds which is in same direction of aircraft to keep it afloat.
Tags: Current Affairs 2016 • Gujarat [GPSC] • Science & technology • Solar energy
First Assamese dictionary for Science and Technology terms was released recently. It was released by Dr Alok Kumar Buragohain, Vice Chancellor of Dibrugarh University.
- This dictionary is prepared by Asomiya Jatiya Abhidhan (AJA) and consists of over 40,000 words compiled in total 160-pages.
- First of kind Science and Technology dictionary in Assamese language is considered as a milestone in development of this language.
- It also seeks to make scientific terminology simple and easily understandable by the people and particularly by students.
- This scientific terminology dictionary covers almost all streams of science, including Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Geography, Computer Science, Zoology, Mathematics, Geology, Statistics and Astronomy among others.