Scientist Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India’s Dr. Alka Beotra has been nominated as a member of the World Association of Anti-Doping Scientists’ (WAADS) executive board.
She is only Asian in the six-member executive board of WAADS and will have tenure of 3 years starting from March 2015.
At present, Dr. Alka Beotra is Scientific Director of National Dope Testing Laboratory (NDTL).
About World Association of Anti-Doping Scientists (WAADS)
- The WAADS is an international organisation that comprises anti-doping scientists from all the WADA-accredited labs across the world.
- Purpose- It provides assistance to combat the issue of doping in sport.
- It also seeks to allow WADA-accredited laboratories to interact within their own group.
Tags: Current Affairs 2016 • Scientist • Sports
Eminent scientist Tapan Misra has been appointed the Chief of ISRO’s Space Applications Centre (SAC), Ahmedabad Gujarat.
He will succeed A S Kiran Kumar, who was appointed as the Chairman of the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) in January 2015.
About Tapan Misra
- In 1984, started his career at SAC as a digital hardware engineer. Since then played important in system design, planning and development of Microwave Remote Sensing Payloads of ISRO.
- Prior to this appointment, he was Deputy Director of Microwave Remote Sensing Area in SAC. He is also heading the Office of Innovations Management of ISRO at Bengaluru.
- Contribution- He was lead designer for the development of C-band Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) of India’s Radar Imaging Satellite-1 (RISAT-1). He also led the team of SAC that had developed a special airborne radar system called DMSAR (SAR for Disaster Management).
- In 1990, developed an important algorithm for real time processing of SAR data during his tenure as Guest Scientist in German Aerospace Agency (DLR).
- Misra also contributed to the system design, simulation, integration, checkout and ground calibration for Multi-frequency Scanning Microwave Radiometer instrument which was carried on-board India’s OCEANSAT-1 satellite.
- Awards- He was awarded Hari Om Ashram Prerit Vikram Sarabhai research Award (2004), ISRO Merit award (2008), Sir JC Bose National Talent Search (JBNSTS) Scholarship (1981).
- He has 2 granted patents, 6 pending patents, 5 copyrights and many research papers to his credit.