SCO Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Nepal was officially made a dialogue partner of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO), a Beijing-based regional security grouping.
In this regard, Nepal signed memorandum during Nepalese Prime Minister K P Sharma Oli official visit to China.
As a dialogue partner, Nepal will be able to participate in the multi-field cooperation of the SCO. It will also create new opportunities for the SCO’s mutually beneficial cooperation and benefit people living in the extensive region that the SCO covers.
About Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO)
- SCO is a Eurasian economic, political and military organisation.
- 8 Members: China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, India and Pakistan.
- Observers: Afghanistan, Iran, Mongolia and Belarus.
- Headquarters: Beijing, China.
- Established: 2001 in Shanghai by the leaders 6 countries viz. China, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Russia, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan.
- It was an outcome of The Shanghai Five grouping established in 1996 by Kazakhstan, China, Kyrgyzstan, Russia and Tajikistan.
- SCO’s first enlargement was in 2001 with addition of Uzbekistan and second enlargement was in July 2015 with addition of 2 new members India and Pakistan.