Sebastian Coe Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Former Olympic champion Sebastian Coe from United Kingdom has been elected as President of International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF).
In the election for this post he defeated Sergei Bubka of Ukraine by securing 115 votes.
He succeeds Senegalese Lamine Diack who had led the IAAF for 16 years since 1999. He becomes only the sixth president in the organisation’s 103-year history.
About Sebastian Coe
- He is one of UK’s finest sportsmen and has won 2 gold medals in the 1500m at the 1980 and 1984 Olympics.
- In his sports career he also had set numerous world records over both the 1500m and 800m track events.
- He had served as IAAF vice-president since 2007 and also had worked for FIFA. He also had served as chairman of the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games.
- After retirement from athletics, he had served as a Conservative Party member of parliament (MP) from 1992 to 1997.
About International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF)
- IAAF is an international governing body for the sport of athletics.
- Established: It was founded in 1912.
- Headquarter: Since 1993, IAAF has been headquartered in Monaco.