Sela Tunnel Project Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
PM Narendra Modi launched various developmental works in the state of Arunachal Pradesh which includes:
- DD Arunprabha – a dedicated 24×7 Satellite channel for Arunachal Pradesh.
- Sela Tunnel Project.
- Film and Television Institute in Jote.
DD Arunprabha is the 24th satellite channel operated by Doordarshan. It will showcase the rich tradition and diversity of local culture. Together with aiding in integrating North-East with the rest of the country, the channel will bring alive the magnificence of North-East by airing content sensitive to the needs and aspirations of local population including news, travelogues, mythological shows, documentaries, magazines, telefilms, reality shows, daily shows etc.
DD Arunprabha is equipped with state of the art facilities, including a Digital Satellite News Gathering unit to provide live coverage from remote locations, for the 24×7 telecast. The seamless transmission of DD Arunprabha will be ensured by playout facility and the earth stations established at DDK Itanagar.
Film and Television Institute in Jote
The permanent campus of Film and Television Institute would be established at Jollang-Rakap (Jote), Papum Pare, Arunachal Pradesh. It would be the third Film and Television Institute of Ministry of I&B (the other two are: FTII Pune and SRFTI Kolkata) and first in the North-East. The institute will provide a boost to the talented youngsters of the North-East in the film and television sector.
PM Narendra Modi laid Foundation Stone for the Sela Tunnel Project in Arunachal Pradesh across Sela Pass.
Sela Pass is a high-altitude mountain pass located on the border between the Tawang and West Kameng Districts of Arunachal Pradesh. The pass connects Tawang for rest of India.
Key Facts about the Sela Tunnel Project
The important facts about the Sela Tunnel project are:
- The Sela pass tunnel will be constructed by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO).
- The announcement of the project was done in the Union Budget 2018 by then Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
- Project costs Rs. 687 crore and is expected to be completed in the three years.
- The project involves the construction of a road for a total distance of 12.04 km which consist of two tunnels of 1790 and 475 meters.
- The project once completed will reduce the travelling time from Tezpur to Tawang by more than one hour.
- The project will also aid travellers in by-passing the dangerous snow-covered Sela top at a height of 13,700 feet.
An asset to the Defence Forces
The Sela tunnel project will provide all-weather connectivity and reduce travelling time. This aids the swift and fast movement of army troops in Tawang which is a strategically-located district located near the border of China. The tunnel will reduce the travel time between the Indian Army’s 4 Corps headquarters at Tezpur in Assam and Tawang.
The tunnel project will also boost the tourism industry and economic activities in the region as well as north-eastern states.