Self reliance in defence Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurated the Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor. During the inauguration, investments worth over Rs 3,038 crore in this defence corridor were announced. Lockheed Martin, a global security giant, also announced its intention to invest in the corridor.
About the Corridor
The important features about the Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor are:
- It is also called as Tamil Nadu Defence Production Quad as the nodal cities of Chennai, Hosur, Salem, Coimbatore and Tiruchirappalli form a quadrilateral with one of them at the centre.
- The five nodal cities already have existing defence ecosystem in the form of ordnance factory boards, vendors working with defence PSUs, and other allied industries.
- Together with helping in accelerated growth and regional industry agglomeration, the defence corridor will also facilitate a well-planned and efficient industrial base which will lead to increased defence production in the country and the region.
- The corridor will help the industry to integrate with the global supply chain of Defence manufacturing.
- Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor would be a specialised facility of aero component manufacturing.
- Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor is the country’s second defence industrial corridor after the first one was launched in Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh August last year.
Tamil Nadu currently ranks 4th in exports with 9.8% of India’s total exports. The corridor will further expand the exporting opportunities from the state.
National Conference on Self Reliance in Defence Manufacturing is organised at Hyderabad. The National Conference is being held by Forum for Integrated National Security in association with Indigenous Defence Entrepreneurs Association.
Self Reliance in Defence Manufacturing
Self-Reliance in defence manufacturing in India is a matter of great importance to achieve multidimensional credible deterrence and to safeguard national interests in fast-changing international relations with respect to geopolitical as well as geo-economic influence on our nation’s rightful place in the world order.
Under Make in India initiative various initiatives taken towards achieving self-reliance in defence manufacturing, which include:
- Preference for procurement from Indian vendors under the Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP).
- Simplification of Make procedure.
- Introduction of a simplified procedure for Make II sub-category.
- Liberalization of the licensing regime.
- Changes in FDI policy by raising the cap on FDI in the defence sector,
- Simplification of the export procedure.
- Streamlining of defence offset guidelines etc.
- Strategic Partnership Model which envisages the establishment of long-term strategic partnerships with Indian entities through a transparent and competitive process, wherein they would tie up with global Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) to seek technology transfers to set up domestic manufacturing infrastructure and supply chains.
This is the second edition of the conference. The first National Conference on Self Reliance in Defence Manufacturing was held in 2015 at Hyderabad.
Tags: Defence Procurement Procedure • Forum for Integrated National Security • Hyderabad • Indigenous Defence Entrepreneurs Association • Make in India • National Conference on Self Reliance in Defence Manufacturing • Self reliance in defence