Serene Williams Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
World No 1 tennis player Novak Djokovic from Serbia has won the 2016 Laureus Sportsman of the Year Award. He has won it for second time after winning it in 2012.
US tennis legend Serene Williams has won the 2016 Laureus Sportswoman of the Year Award. It was her fourth Laureus Awards after she won it in 2003, 2007 and 2010.
The 2016 Laureus World Sports Awards ceremony for the first time was held in Berlin, Germany. The awards are dubbed as Oscar of the sports and are bestowed on sportspersons in different categories.
2016 Laureus World Sports Awardees
- Sportsman of the Year: Novak Djokovic (Tennis), Serbia.
- Sportswoman of the Year: Serena Williams (Tennis), United States.
- Team of the Year: New Zealand National Rugby team.
- Comeback of the Year: Dan Carter (Rugby), New Zealand.
- Breakthrough of the Year: Jordan Spieth (Golf), United States.
- Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability: Daniel Dias (Paralympic swimmer), Brazil.
- Action Sportsperson of the Year: Jan Frodeno (Triathelete), Germany.
- Sport for Good Award: Moving the Goalposts
- Laureus World Sports Lifetime Achievement Award: Niki Lauda (former Formula One racer), Austria.
- Spirit of Sport Award: Johan Cruyff (Football), Netherlands.
About Laureus World Sports Awards
- It an annual award that honours remarkable sportspersons (men and women) around the world of sport.
- It is given by Laureus World Sports Academy since 2000.
- The awards are presented in 7 different categories with the potential for additional discretionary Awards given.
- Awards carry Laureus Statuette crafted by Cartier. The statue is representation of the striving human form against an engraved representation of the continents.