Sergey Karjakin Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Grandmaster Magnus Carlsen of Norway has won the 2016 World Chess Championship for the third consecutive time.
He retained the title after defeating Sergey Karjakin of Russia. Karjakin had tied against Carlsen in 12 regular rounds but was beaten in the final phase of four quickfire games.
About Magnus Carlsen
- Magnus Carlsen is a Norwegian chess grandmaster. He is No. 1 ranked player in the world and reigning World Chess Champion in classical, rapid, and blitz.
- He became Grandmaster in 2004, at the age of 13 years, 148 days, making him at that time the second youngest grandmaster in history, although he has since become the third youngest. His peak rating is 2882, the highest in history of the FIDE rankings.
- On 1st January 2010, at the age of 19 years, 32 days, he was the youngest chess player in history to be ranked world No. 1.
- In November 2013, he became World Champion by defeating Viswanathan Anand in the World Chess Championship.
- In 2013, he was named in the Time magazine list of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2013.
Russian grandmaster Sergey Karjakin has won the prestigious FIDE World Chess Candidates Tournament held in Moscow.
In the final Round 14, he defeated American grandmaster Fabiano Caruana scoring 8.5 points.
With this victory, he will now play with the incumbent world champion, Norwegian Grandmaster Magnus Carlsen, in a match for the world chess crown in November 2016.
About Sergey Karjakin
- Sergey Karjakin is a Ukrainian-born Russian chess grandmaster and former chess prodigy.
- He holds the record for the world’s youngest Grandmaster ever after he had qualified for this title at the age of 12 years and 7 months.
- He had won the 2012 World Rapid Chess Championship and the 2015 Chess World Cup.
- He also had won the Norway Chess Tournament twice and the 2009 Corus Chess Tournament.
- He was a member of the gold medal-winning Russian team at the 2013 World Team Chess Championship in Antalya.