Shi Yuqi Current Affairs - 2020
In Sudirman Cup Badminton title 2019 China beats Japan in men’s doubles, women’s singles and men’s singles.
- The 2019 edition was hosted by China and it swept the finals with 3-0 victory against Japan. With this win China 11th Sudirman Cup title.
- China’s Shi Yuqi whitewashed the world champion Kento Momota of Japan in the finale held in Nanjing City of China. The 23-year-old Shi holds world second-rank and the 24-year-old Momota is ranked world number one.
- Japan has never won badminton world mixed-team championship and after this defeat their search still goes on.
- China has for long-time been pre-eminent power in badminton and with this win in 2019 China reclaimed the trophy they lost to South Korea in 2017.
About Sudirman Cup
- It was established in 1989 and is biennial international badminton championship.
- The tournament is contested by mixed national teams of member associations of Badminton World Federation (BWF).
- The year 2019 was 16th edition of the Sudirman Cup Title.
- It was held between 19 and 26 May 2019 in Nanning, China.
Tags: Badminton World Federation • China • International Badminton Championship • Kento Momota • Nanning
India’s Sai Praneeth fell short of creating history after losing in the finals of Men’s singles in the Swiss Open Badminton Tournament. Sai Praneeth who had upset World No.5 and Olympic champion Chen Long in the semi-final, lost to Shi Yuqi of China.
Winners of the Swiss Open Badminton Tournament 2019
Men’s Singles: Shi Yuqi (China)
Women’s Singles: Chen Yufei (China)
Men’s Doubles: Fajar Alfian and Muhammad Rian Ardianto (Indonesia)
Women’s Doubles: Chang Ye-na and Jung Kyung-eun (South Korea)
Mixed Doubles: Mathias Bay-Smidt and Rikke Soby Hansen (Denmark)
The Swiss Open is an annual badminton tournament held in Switzerland since 1955.