Shot put Current Affairs
Shot-putter Tejinder Pal Singh Toor (24) won Gold medal in men’s shot put final at 2018 Jakarta-Palembang Asian GamesAsian Games held in Indonesia. He finished first in men’s shot put final and set new record at 20.75 m in his fifth attempt. It was India’s first Gold medal in Athletics event in this edition of Asian Games.
Tejinder Pal Singh Toor
He hails from Punjab (Khosa Pando village in Moga district) and is son of farmer. He holds outdoor national record of 20.75m in shot put throw. He had won silver medal at 2017 Asian Athletics Championships held in Bhubaneswar, Odisha in shot put with throw of 19.77m, missing out on gold medal by 0.03 m. He had finished eighth infinal of 2018 Commonwealth Games with throw of 19.42m.
Deepa Malik has created history by winning silver medal in Women’s shotput at the 2016 Rio Paralympics.
With this she becomes first Indian woman to win a medal at the Paralympics. It is India’s 3rd medal in the ongoing Paralympics games at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Malik had won the silver medal in the shotput F-53 event with her best throw of 4.61m in her six attempts.
In the shotput F-53 event, Bahrain’s Fatema Nedham had won the gold medal with the best throw of 4.76m. Greece’s Dimitra Korokida had won the bronze medal with a throw of 4.28m.
About Deepa Malik
- Deepa Malik was born in Sonipat, Haryana.
- She is associated with Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI) and Himalayan Motorsports Association (HMA).
- She has completed 8 day, 1700-km drive in sub-zero temperatures which included a climb to 18000 feet covering many difficult paths including remote Himalayas, Leh, Shimla and Jammu.
- She is a member of the working group in the formulation 12th five- year plan (2012-2017) on Sports and Physical Education.
- She was nominated on behalf of the Union Sports Ministry by the Planning Commission HRD Division.