Shyam Benegal Current Affairs - 2020
India and Bangladesh will jointly produce a feature movie on life and works of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman (founding father of People’s Republic of Bangladesh) and also a documentary on Bangladesh Liberation War (1971). India’s state broadcaster Prasar Bharati will co-produce the film.
- The decision was taken after Bangladeshi delegation led by Dr. Gowher Rizvi (adviser to Prime Minister of Bangladesh) recently met secretary and other officials of Information & Broadcasting Ministry and focussed on various aspects of making of feature film.
- The announcement is a culmination of three-year dialogue between India and Bangladesh on the issue. Earlier, decision of co-production was announced by Prime Ministers of India Narendra Modi and of Bangladesh Prime Ministers Sheikh Hasina.
- The movie announcement comes in backdrop of raging debate on National Register of Citizens (NRC) in northeast which seeks to disenfranchise Bangladeshi migrants.
- Movie on Sheikh Mujibur Rahman will be directed by renowned filmmaker Shyam Benegal and script will be written by Atul Tiwari.
- Bangladeshi Delegation assured full cooperation in ensuring smooth logistics for shooting movie in Bangladesh.
- For documentary on Bangladesh Liberation War (1971) it was mutually agreed that director would be from Bangladesh and he will be assisted by a co-director from India.
- Other decisions: Prasar Bharati agreed to carry Bangladesh TV on DD Free Dish platform without charging carriage fees (i.e. free of cost.). In a reciprocal gesture, delegation from Bangladesh announced that a Doordarshan channel will be adopted on the about to launched DTH platform of Bangladesh. A working agreement on cooperation between All India Radio (India’s national public radio broadcaster) and Bangladesh Betar (state-owned radio broadcasting organisation of Bangladesh) was also agreed upon between the two countries starting from next month.
Tags: 1971 war • All India Radio • angabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman • Atul Tiwari • Bangladesh Betar
The Union Ministry of Information & Broadcasting has constituted a committee headed by noted film-maker Shyam Benegal to look into revamp the film certification nuances by Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC).
The committee is tasked to suggest recommendations provide a holistic framework and interpretation of provisions of Cinematograph Act, 1952 and Cinematograph (Certification) Rules, 1983.
Other Members of the Committee: Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra, Bhawana Somaaya, Piyush Pandey, Nina Lath Gupta and Joint Secretary (Films) as Member Convenor.
Terms of reference of the Committee
- The committee is expected to take note of the best practices in various parts of the world.
- Recommend broad guidelines under the provisions of the Cinematograph Act, 1952 for the benefit of the chairperson and other members of the Screening Committee of CBFC.
- Take into consideration that film industry is given sufficient and adequate space for creative and aesthetic expression.
- Look into the staffing pattern of CBFC in an effort to recommend a framework which would provide efficient and transparent user friendly services.
The Committee has been requested to submit its recommendations within two months. Its recommendations would enable those tasked with the work of certification of films to discharge their responsibilities keeping in view the prescribed framework.