Sister Nirmala Joshi Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Sister Nirmala Joshi, former Superior General of Missionaries of Charity passed away in Kolkata after brief illness. She was 81.
She had taken over as Superior General in March 1997 after the death of Mother Teresa.
About Sister Nirmala Joshi
- Sister Nirmala Joshi was born in 1934 in Ranchi, erstwhile Bihar and Orissa province of British Indian Empire (now the capital of Jharkhand) in Hindu family.
- She had joined the Missionaries of Charity in 1976 after she had dedicated herself to the service of the poor after getting inspired by the work of Mother Teresa.
- Sister Nirmala was elected as Superior General of the Missionaries of Charity six months before Mother Teresa’s death (September 5, 1997).
- She had played important role expanding the organisation’s reach by opening centres in 134 countries including in Afghanistan, Israel and Thailand.
- Her term as Superior General of Missionaries of Charity had ended on 25 March 2009. She was succeeded by German-born Sister Mary Prema Pierick, M.C.
- Awards: She was bestowed with the Padma Vibhushan, India’s second highest civilian award in 2009 for her services to the nation.