smart cities scheme Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Rajasthan has become the first state in the country to submit smart city plans for three selected cities to Union Government.
In this regard, state government has submitted smart city Proposals of Udaipur, Kota and Ajmer to Union Ministry of Urban Development.
Under the proposal the investment outlays proposed by state government for developing these 3 cities as smart cities are Kota 1,493 crore rupees, Ajmer 1,300 crore rupees and Udaipur 1,221 crore rupees respectively.
State Government is also forwarding Smart city proposal for Jaipur Cilty with an investment proposed 2,403 crore rupees prior to December 15, 2015 deadline. Overall Rajasthan has proposed a total investment of 6,457 crore rupees for 5 years for developing these four cities as smart cities.
About Smart Cities Mission
- It is flagship scheme of Union Government under which 100 smart cities would be built across the country in different states.
- Aim of the Mission is to efficiently utilise available resources, assets and infrastructure in order to enhance quality of urban life and provide a clean and sustainable environment.
- Each state government has been empowered to shortlist a number of aspirant smart cities from the state for which proposals and plans would be forwarded to Union Government.
- These shortlisted cities would be selected by Union Government on the basis of ‘competition’ to ascertain their ability of cities to achieve mission objectives.
- Each selected city would get assistance of 100 crore rupees per year for five years from Union Government to implement the scheme. Special emphasis on participation of citizens in planning and prioritising urban interventions will be also considered.
India and United States (US) have signed three Memoranda of Understandings (MoUs) on smart cities.
These MoUs were signed by the representatives of United States Trade and Development Agency (USTAD) and the respective Chief Secretaries of State Governments of Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh in the presence of Union Urban Development Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu.
These MoU’s seeks to give a boost to Union governments flagship smart cities scheme, by building smart cities in
- Vishakapatnam in Andhra Pradesh.
- Ajmer in Rajasthan.
- Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh.
US will help each respective state to conduct feasibility studies, finding investors, ways to use the best technology and formulating the plan for building three smart cities.
While, respective state Governments will provide resources like technical information and data related to smart cities planning; staff, logistical and travel support and budgetary resources.