Smart City Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
On December 18, 2019, the Government of India extended the deadline of its flagship scheme AMRUT (Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation) by two more years. The mission was launched in 2015 by PM Modi promising 139 lakh water connections and 145 lakh sewer connections by March 2020. The expenditure of the mission was estimated as Rs 77,640 crores.
According to Data Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, in the last five years 2,316 projects have been completed so far at an expense of Rs 7,195 crore. The ministry also says that 46% of water connection and 28.3% of sewer connections have been achieved between June 2015 and December 2019. GoI has so far implemented the mission, prioritizing water connections to households.
After its launch, Rajasthan was the first state to submit its State Annual Action Plan (SAAP). The plan is submitted by the state governments to the centre. With the help of the plan the centre formulates city level estimation of budget required to avail water supply, draining system, sewerages, digital and internet facilities, industrial and transport facilities, etc.
The SAAP was submitted by West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh (for Amaravati project that was closed recently), Haryana, Maharashtra, Jammu and Kashmir, Madhya Pradesh and Telangana.
Tags: AMRUT • Drainage Infrastructure • Government Data • Sewage Treatment • Smart City
The 7th India-US Economic and Financial partnership meeting was held in New Delhi. It was Co-chaired by Finance Minister Nirmala Seetharaman and US Secretary Steven T Minuchin. The leaders took efforts to improve mutual cooperation on wide range of multilateral subjects. It included combating financing of terrorism and anti-money laundering.
- India and US discussed policies related to stimulate economic growth
- The countries noted significant steps taken by India to strengthen financial sector that includes
- Plans to merge state-owned banks
- PSB recapitalization plans
- Both the sides also discussed capital flows, external economic environment and investment promotion related issues
- The US offered its support to stand by India for its Presidency of G20 summit in 2022.
- The Financial Regulatory Dialogue was also held alongside where the financial regulatory developments in both the sides were discussed
- In 2017, the US helped the Indian city Pune by financing governmental needs in support of government’s Smart City initiative.