Smart City Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The mHariyali mobile application was launched by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs to encourage public engagement in planting trees and Green drives. The application provides automatic geo – tagging of plants. It will hence enable the nodal officers to periodically monitor the plantation.
What is the initiation all about?
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs in September 2019, had selected 103 Central Government colonies to implement the following
- Awareness and Construction of Roof top rain water harvesting
- Cleaning and Greening of open space through plantation
- Sensitization on Source Segregation of household waste
- Orientation and Capacity building on Home Composting.
The application is a part of the campaign to keep the participants motivated. As a part of the campaign the Hariyali Mahostav was also launched
The Mahotsav is a mass plantation drive that was conducted in Chanakyapuri, New Delhi. Under the program around 500 plants were planted by 150 people.
Under this mass initiative till date, 25 rain water harvesting structures have been constructed, 21,756 plants have been planted and more than 3800 people participated.
Tags: garbage • green city • Hariyali mahotsav • home composting • mHariyali app
The National Institute of Design has been inaugurated at Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh and Jorhat in Assam. The Union Minister for Commerce and Industries Suresh Prabhu inaugurated the Institutions.
Establishment of National Institute of Design
- Design and innovation have taken prime importance in many sectors, policies, and schemes of the government like “Make in India”, “Skill India”, “Digital India”, “Startup India”, and “Smart City initiatives”. Hence it is imperative to promote design education.
- National Design Policy 2007 had recommended setting up design institutes on the lines of NID, Ahmedabad in other parts of India to promote design programs. Hence National Institute of Design is being established Andhra Pradesh (Amaravati), Assam (Jorhat), Madhya Pradesh (Bhopal) and Haryana (Kurukshetra).
- NIDs in different regions of the country will help produce highly skilled manpower in design which, in turn, will create job opportunities, both direct and indirect, by providing sustainable design interventions for crafts, handloom, rural technology, small, medium and large-scale enterprises and outreach programs for capacity, capability and institution building.
- NIDs will fulfil the requirement of designers in the country and expose them to employment opportunities, which will lead the country towards higher socio-economic growth.
National Institute of Design
- The National Institute of Design was established based on the recommendations of the Eames Report. It was established as an autonomous all-India body in September 1961 at Ahmedabad in association with the Ford Foundation and the Sarabhai family.
- Over the years, the National Institute of Design has emerged as an internationally finest educational and research institutions for Industrial, Communication, Textile and IT Integrated (Experiential) Design. It works as an autonomous institution under the aegis of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- The National Institute of Design has been declared ‘Institution of National Importance’ by the Act of Parliament, by virtue of the National Institute of Design Act 2014.
The National Design Institution at Bhopal and Jorhat will provide 4-year undergraduate courses in industrial design, communication design and apparel & textile design.
Tags: Amaravati • Andhra Pradesh [APPSC] • Assam • Bhopal • Digital India