Social Networking Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
On 11 August the social network giant Facebook doled out 21 million US dollar to Indian app developers under its FbStart initiative.
With an aim to attract next billion Internet users towards social networking, last year Facebook launched FbStart an initiative to promote and help new mobile app developers around the world.
The two Indian entrants Hyderabad-based Samosa and Delhi’s Cardback received the 21 billion US dollars under this initiative.
- The Hyderabad-based Samosa had developed an app that offers a curated collection of clips from popular movies that people can share with friends.
- The Delhi- based Cardback developed an app that helps cardholders and wallet users identify the best ways to pay and maximise their rewards and savings for every transaction they make.
- Under FbStart, Facebook provides software and tools worth $80,000 and $30,000 respectively to app developers.
- FbStart was organised in Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan and India in Asia-Pacific region. Facebook has more than 1,000 members as part of the FbStart programme in Asia.
Tags: Award • Business • Facebook • FbStart • India
Facebook, the social networking leader has unveiled a new compressed version of its application called ‘Facebook Lite’ in India to reach out its users who have slow data connections.
The motive for launching this version in India is to expand the reach of Facebook to a much wider user who do not necessarily use high-end smart phones.
Further it will be roll out across Africa, Asia, Latin America and Europe; till date Facebook has 1.4 bn people on its network globally.
Application of Facebook Lite:
- The application size of Facebook Lite is 430 KB as against the full version which is of 30 MB.
- It performs faster even in 2G network and consumes less data.
- Most of the core features are present in this app as of regular application such as News Feed, photos, notifications and status updates.
Note: There are over 1 billion 2G network user across the world, whereas India has 874 million 2G network users that account roughly 80 per cent of its overall subscribers.
Tags: Business • New Launch • Social Networking