Softbank Current Affairs
Ken Miyauchi has been appointed as the President and Chief Operating Officer (COO) of the Japanese conglomerate SoftBank Group.
He will succeed Nikesh Arora who had stepped down from his position after the Chairman and CEO of Group Masayoshi Son wanted to remain at the helm longer than first planned.
Prior to this appointment, Ken Miyauchi was head of the SoftBank group’s Japanese telecommunications operations. He has been working with the SoftBank Group since October 1984.
- SoftBank Group is a Japanese multinational telecommunications and Internet corporation established in 1981 in Tokyo.
- It has operations in fixed-line telecommunications, broadband, Internet, e-commerce, technology services, media, finance and marketing, and other businesses.
- As of 2015, the group is the 62nd largest company in the world based on a composite of sales, assets, profit and market value.
Hike Messenger, a home-grown chat application has introduced free voice-calling feature called Hike Calls to its users.
This feature will allow its users to call each other for free, over 2G, 3G and Wi-Fi and across the globe in over 200 countries.
Hike Messenger has introduced this service, after it had acquired free calling application company – Zip Phone earlier in January 2015.
This feature has been launched in beta on Android operating system, which contributes to over 90 percent of Hike’s user base. While, the iOS and Windows versions will be released later.
About Hike Messenger
- It was launched on 12th December 2012 and is a joint venture between Bharti Enterprises and Softbank.
- User base: In August 2014, Hike had hit 35 million users.