Solar Power Tree Current Affairs
The Union Ministry of Science and Technology has launched ‘Solar Power Tree’, an innovative way to generate electricity by harnessing maximum solar energy in a limited space.
It was launched by Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences Dr. Harsh Vardhan in New Delhi.
Key Features of Solar Power Tree
- The Solar Power Tree has been developed by the CSIR-Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute (CSIR-CMERI).
- It can harnesses solar energy for producing electricity with an innovative vertical arrangement of solar cells.
- It reduces the requirement of land as compared to conventional Solar Photovoltaic layout. It keeps the land character intact and is viable in both rural and urban areas.
- It takes only 4 square feet of land for installing a 5 KW Solar Power tree. But in a conventional horizontal layout for generating 5 KW it requires 400 square feet of land.
- On an average, it harnesses more sunrays for one hour in a day as photovoltaic panels are placed at higher height.
- It can harness up to 10-15% more power in comparison to a conventional layout on ground.
- It has a battery back-up of 2 hours on full load and can give light even after sunset.
- It is facilitated with water sprinkler at the top for self-cleaning of panels which help to increase the efficiency of the solar panels.
CMERI: It is a constituent laboratory of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).