SONAR Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has handed over three naval systems to the Indian Navy. These latest systems will significantly enhance the navy’s navigation and communication network.
The systems were handed over to Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Sunil Lanba by Union Defence Minister Arun Jaitley in New Delhi.
The naval systems given to Indian Navy are
- USHUS-II submarine sonar
- Directing gear for hull-mounted sonar array,
- Inertial navigation system for ship applications.
Defence Minister also released two other products developed by DRDO, namely
- IP-based secure phone: It incorporates an indigenous encryption algorithm on a “trustworthy hardware platform”. It will provide high level of secrecy to voice and data, for communication of strategic and tactical plans of the Armed Forces.
- Gallium Nitride Technology: It will substantially help in the development of next generation radars, seekers and communication systems, for application in Light Combat Aircraft (LCA).
India’s first indigenous composites sonar dome, a ship’s underwater eyes and ears, was flagged off by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar.
The sonar dome was dedicated to the nation dedicated to the nation and will be delivered to Mazgaon Docks, Mumbai for use in the warships of Indian Navy.
- The sonar dome is dsigned and produced by a Defence and Research Development Organisation’s (DRDO’s) Research and Development Establishment (Engineers) lab based in Pune.
- It is a first of its kind in the country to be manufactured by the Goa-based composites manufacturing company Kineco.
- The sonar dome functions as the ship’s underwater eyes and ears and mostly all anti-submarine warfare (ASW) ships have a sonar array fitted to the ship structure below the waterline.
- The sonar dome is a structure is fitted over the sonar array to make it acoustically transparent in order to avoid exposure of its electronics and sensors to surrounding hostile environment.
With successfully building indigenous sonar dome, India joins a select group of nations which have the capability of realising large composites structure with complex geometry, high structural rigidity and multi-functional requirements with acoustic transparency.
Sonar: It is an acronym for SOund Navigation And Ranging. It is a technique that uses sound propagation (usually underwater) to navigate, communicate with or detect objects on or under the surface of the water, such as other vessels.