South Korea Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The South Korean Tech Giant, Samsung Electronics Co unveiled world’s highest-resolution image sensor, with 64 megapixels for smartphones. This is a step to meet increasing demand for mobile devices with better image quality.
About Image Sensor
- Samsung expanded its 0.8-micrometer pixel image sensor (smallest pixel size currently available in global market) lineup by introducing two new 0.8-micrometer pixel image sensors:
- 64-megapixel ISOCELL Bright GW1 (for advanced handsets)
- 48-megapixel ISOCELL Bright GM2 (for flagship phones)
- The two image sensors are currently being sampled and its mass production will soon start in second half of 2019.
- The image sensor market is expected to grow exponentially by 2030 in line with advancements in about to be introduced 5G technologies and artificial intelligence (AI).
- Applications: Apart from Smart Phones, Vehicle components are next market for image sensors, ranging from parking assistant system to autonomous driving (self-driving cars).
Note: In Global market share of Image Sensor shipments, Japan’s Sony comapany accounted for 26.1% of global market in 2018, followed by Samsung’s 23.2%.
Tags: 48-megapixel ISOCELL Bright GM2 • 64-megapixel ISOCELL Bright GW1 • Image Sensor • Japan • Samsung
Reports suggest that the US could terminate the sanctions waivers it granted to some importers of Iranian oil after it re-imposed sanctions on Iran last year.
Ending of Sanction Waiver
- Reports indicate that the US has already communicated to seven countries viz. Japan, South Korea, Turkey, Italy, Greece, China and India- that they will no longer be exempt from US sanctions if they continue to import oil from Iran after their waivers end on May 2.
- The ending of sanction waiver is part of the US strategy to exert maximum pressure and isolate Iran.
- The US has stated it wants to deprive the outlaw regime of the funds that it has used to destabilise the Middle East for decades and incentivise Iran to behave like a normal country.
The news of the ending of sanctions waiver exerted upward pressure on global prices of crude. Further. US has stated that the US along with Saudi Arabia and UAE have agreed to take timely action to assure that global demand is met as all Iranian oil is removed from the market.
Tags: China • Greece • India • Iran • Iranian Oil