Spain Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj held a bilateral meeting with her counterpart from Spain Josep Borrel. Both the leaders met at Madrid’s Viana Palace, the Spanish foreign ministry’s official headquarters to discuss the most pressing issues on the international agenda.
Highlights of the Bilateral Meet
The important outcomes of the bilateral meeting are:
- Both India and Spain supported the promotion of multilateralism and a rules-based concept of free trade.
- The meet acknowledged the growing degree of interlocution between Spain and Indian and the current understanding between the two countries that share values, democratic principles and vision regarding international affairs.
- Both discussed the budding potential of closer economic ties and industrial and technological cooperation between the Mediterranean and South Asian nations especially in fields in which Spanish businesses are global leaders such as the civil use of nuclear energy, transport, the railway sector and renewable energy.
- The meet acknowledged India’s increasing influence when it comes to the promotion of international stability and security.
- Spain expressed condolences and solidarity in the aftermath of a brutal suicide bombing at Pulwama that has killed at least 40 paramilitary troopers.
Grand Cross of the Order of Civil Merit medal
Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj was presented with Grand Cross of the Order of Civil Merit medal to honour India’s support for Spanish victims of the earthquake that devastated Nepal in April 2015. The award recognises the extraordinary service by Spanish and foreign citizens for the benefit of Spain.
Belgium’s Elise Mertens has claimed the biggest title of her career by beating top seed Simona Halep of Romania 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 to win the Qatar Open. The final was played on 16th February 2019 in Doha.
About Elise Mertens
- Currently ranked 21 in the world rankings, Ms. Mertens has won five singles and six doubles WTA titles as well as 24 ITF titles to date.
- This is her biggest tour title.
- She overcame a lengthy medical time-out for a back issue in the first set; lost 18 points in a row at one stage in the second set, but then came back strong to finally win the title.
- This was a big upset in the world of Tennis as Simona Halep is ranked number three.
About the Qatar Open 2019
The Qatar Open is a professional tennis tournament played on outdoor hard courts and is part of the ATP World Tour 250 series of the Association of Tennis Professionals World Tour. It is held annually at the Khalifa International Tennis and Squash Complex in Doha, Qatar, since 1993.
In the 2019 edition, the Men’s Singles was won by R. Bautista Agut of Spain by beating T. Berdych of Czechoslovakia.