The Union Cabinet under Chairmanship of Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved mega auction of all available spectrum (more than 2300 Megahertz) across the seven bands.
This decision will pave way for the largest-ever spectrum auction in the country and could potentially fetch the exchequer about 5.5 lakh crore ruppees going by the reserve price.
- The airwaves in the seven spectrum bands to be auctioned are 700, 800, 900, 1800, 2100, 2300 and 2500 MHz.
- The auction of such a large quantity of spectrum will give a fillip for Digital India programme.
- It will also allow telecom operators to purchase spectrum at par with international holding values and end spectrum shortage.
- This auction for the first time will sell 700 MHz band which is preferred for offering high-speed broadband services.
- The 700 MHz band is approximately 70% cheaper than in the 2100 MHz band (used for 3G services). Thus help to increase internet penetration in the country.