Sports Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
South America’s governing body of football CONMEBOL has invited Australia and Qatar to take part in 2020 COPA America. COPA 2020 will be co-hosted by Argentina and Colombia. The final of Copa 2020 will be played in one match and in one host city.
The Copa America is contested between national teams from South America and usually features 12 teams but CONMEBOL only has 10 members which means that there is often pair of invitees to tournament. Qatar and Japan are guest teams at Copa 2019 scheduled to be held in Brazil. Qatar which is 2019 AFC Asian Cup champions and 2022 FIFA World Cup host will be making their Copa America debut at 2019’s edition of tournament. It will be Australia’s third time participation at Copa.
About Copa America Football
It is international football competition is played between men’s national football teams of South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL). Since 1990s, tournament also sees the participation from Asia and North America. It was established in 1916 and is the oldest international continental football competition.
The Badminton World Federation (BWF) has launched two new formats of badminton game namely, AirBadminton and Triples. In contrast to traditional competitive badminton which is an indoor game the Airbadminton is an outdoor game.
- Badminton World Federation is badminton’s highest governing body.
- For long outdoor badminton has been one of India’s favourite recreational sports. Much like India, globally the amateur participation in outdoor games is 40% more than those undergoing structured training on expensive indoor wooden courts.
- Significance: Both have a potential of providing an alternate career to retired badminton professionals.
- Importance: For people interested in AirBadminton infrastructure won’t be a hindrance as it can be played in different environments like on sands in beaches, grass in parks and even on streets and by lanes.
- It was globally launched at Guangzhou in China by Badminton World Federation (BWF). It has new dimensions of court and an innovative outdoor shuttlecock called AirShuttle.
- AirBadminton is designed to be played on hard, grass and sand surfaces such as that in playgrounds, gardens, parks, streets, and beaches. The aim is that AirShuttle could be used in winds up to 12 kmph.
- The outdoor format will be played barefoot on an approved surface like sand and on courts of smaller dimensions.
- In Triples format, badminton match will be played between a team of total three players. Each team will mandatory have at least one female athlete. Also, players are not allowed to hit returns successively.