Steel Authority of India Ltd Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Steel Authority of India Ltd (SAIL) has launched smart garbage bins made of stainless steel which integrates technology for smart waste management.
Smart Garbage Bins
- The Smart Garbage Bins will send signals to the garbage collection vehicle about the ‘fill-up’ position of the bin. This provides for better cleaning and lower human intervention.
- These Smart Garbage Bins made up of SAIL SALEM stainless steel will be installed in underground Reinforced Cement Concrete (RCC) pits at the Smart Garbage Station. This will help prevent the spread of stink and diseases.
- There will be separate bins for recyclable and non-recyclable wastes. The pits will be covered with a pit cover fabricated out of stainless steel slip-free sheets. Suitable openings on the pit cover will be provided to allow the sanitation crew to dump the collected garbage into the stainless steel bins placed underground.
- IOT (Internet of Things) enabled Gazelle sensors on the pit cover will transmit signals to the collection vehicle about the “fill-up” position.
- Compactor will lift the stainless steel bins from the underground pits and empty the garbage into the compactor vehicle.
Initially, these Smart Garbage Bins will be placed at one each at Kamala Nagar in North and BhikajiCama Place in South Delhi. SAIL is looking for other municipalities as well as metro cities to take this initiative further. SAIL is looking to take up production of stainless steel garbage bins on a commercial scale depending upon the response.
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has appointed Anil Kumar Chaudhary as new Chairman of Steel Authority of India Ltd. He will in office till his superannuation in December, 2020. He will succeed P K Singh, who had retired from the post in June 2018. Prior to this appointment, he was serving as Director (Finance) at SAIL.
Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL)
SAIL is one of the largest state-owned steel in India and one of the top steel makers in world. It is India’s largest steel making company (annual production capacity of 14.38 million metric tons) and 24th largest steel producer in the world. It was founded in 1954 and incorporated in 1973. Its headquarters are in New Delhi. It operates and owns five integrated steel plants at Bhilai, Durgapur, Rourkela, Bokaro and Burnpur and 3 special steel plants at Salem, Durgapur and Bhadravathi.