Stratolaunch Current Affairs - 2020
The world’s largest aircraft ROC, developed by aerospace venture Stratolaunch has successfully completed its first flight test.
World’s Largest Aircraft
- The Aircraft has a dual fuselage design and a wingspan greater than the length of an American football field.
- The Aircraft achieved a maximum speed of 189 miles (302.4 km) per hour, the plane flew for 2.5 hours over the Mojave Desert at altitudes up to 17,000 feet.
- The aircraft has a world-record wingspan of 385 feet and is 238 feet long. It is wider than any airplane on the planet.
As part of the initial flight, the pilots evaluated aircraft performance and handling qualities before landing successfully back at the Mojave Air and Space Port.
Stratolaunch is an American space transportation venture developing a new air launch to orbit system.
Stratolaunch aims to develop an air-launch system with three primary components:
- A carrier aircraft.
- A multi-stage payload “launch vehicle” which would be launched at high altitude into space from under the carrier aircraft.
- A mating and integration system.
Stratolaunch was founded by the late Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen in 2011.
Tags: Air launch System • Microsoft • Mojave Desert • Paul Allen • Stratolaunch
The world’s largest all-composite airplane Stratolaunch in terms of wingspan successfully completed its initial engine tests. It is designed for launching for sending satellite-carrying rockets into low-Earth orbit.
The plane hasbiggest wingspan ever built, measuring 118 m from one end to the other, longer than a professional football field. It weighs about 227,000 kg.
Stratolaunch plane is fitted with six 747 turbofan engines. It is designed to carry nearly 250,000 kg between the two fuselages. It can hold more than 113,000 kg of fuel. It has operational range of approximately 2,000 nautical miles.
Stratolaunch plane is designed for runway-style takeoff. Once it reaches cruising altitude of 11,000 metres, it can detach rockets carrying small satellites into low-Earth orbit. It is capable of delivering payloads to multiple orbits and inclinations in a single mission.