Street Light Programme Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union Ministry of Power unveiled world’s largest street light replacement programme in South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) area.
It is implemented under LED based Street Lighting National Programme (SLNP) by the Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), a joint venture under the Union Ministry of Power.
- Under SLNP, 2 lakh street light will be replaced with LED lights in SDMC area. It will result in cumulative annual energy savings of 2.65 crore kWh and daily reduction of 22,000 tonnes of greenhouse gases.
- The programme will provide benefits to the residents of SDMC area as it would lead to a reduction in dark spots and increased security.
- It will result in cumulative savings of Rs. 135 crores in next 7 years and Rs. 50 crores per annum. Thus, help in investment in social development initiatives and that too without any extra money.
- Besides EESL Complaint App for SDMC was also launched. It will allow users can now lodge complaints about faulty street lights.
About LED based Street Lighting National Programme (SLNP)
- The programme aims to install LED bulbs street-lighting across different cities in the country. The LED lights will replace inefficient lamps.
- The initiative is part of the Government’s efforts to spread the message of energy efficiency in the country. It will result in energy savings and reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
- It is presently running in Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Assam, Tripura, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Goa, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Rajasthan.
- Note: LED bulbs have a very long life, almost 50 times more than ordinary bulbs, and 8-10 times that of CFLs, and provide both energy and cost savings in the medium term.