Surajkund International Crafts Mela Current Affairs
The 32nd edition of Surajkund International Crafts Mela was held at Faridabad, Haryana. It was formally inaugurated by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in the presence of Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar.
It is annual cultural festival hosted since 1987 to showcase richness and diversity of the handicrafts and cultural heritage of India. This year Uttar Pradesh is theme state and Kyrgyzstan is the partner nation.
The Mela is organized every year by Surajkund Mela Authority and Haryana Tourism in collaboration with Union Ministries of Tourism, Textiles, Culture and External Affairs Ministry. The 15-day festival showcases richness and diversity of handicrafts, handlooms and cultural heritage of the country.
The festival’s name Surajkund derives its name from ancient amphitheatre constructed in 10th century AD by Raja Suraj Pal, one of Tomar chieftains. This is unique monument was built to worship Sun God (Surya) and it resembles a Greek amphitheatre.
This year Uttar Pradesh as theme state showcased its religious tourism, rural tourism and spiritual tourism apart from its art, culture and heritage. 29 countries also took part in this edition of Mela. It also showcased religious tourism circuit — such as Ayodhya, Kashi, Mathura apart from the art, culture, and heritage of UP.
29th Surajkund International Crafts Mela has begun in Faridabad district of Haryana.
It was inaugurated by Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar along with Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh, Raman Singh.
The theme state this year is Chhattisgarh.
Lebanon is the Partner Nation of this year’s Mela and it will be open till 15 February 2015.
- In this Mela, Haryana will present its tribal heritage and culture especially from forests of Bastar which is still well-preserved.
- While, the artistes from Chhattisgarh will showcase various folk dances namely Panthi, Rawat Nacha Pandwani, Chaitra, Kaksar, Saila and Soowa.
- Lebanon as partner nation of the Mela will unveil its ancient heritage of creating crafts in style.
The 18 countries are participating in this year’s Mela. They are Lebanon, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Russia, Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Georgia, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Qatar, Thailand, Uganda and Syria.
Suraj Kund mela
- It was started in 1987 and is held every year since then from February 1-15 and .
- Traditional craftsman (artists, painters, weavers and sculptors) from all parts of the country participate in this annual celebration named as the “Surajkund Crafts Mela” or “Surajkund designer’s Village”.