Surgical Strike Current Affairs - 2020
Ajit Doval is reappointed as National Security Advisor (NSA) of India for another five year tenure. In recognition of his earlier contribution in the national security domain, he has also been elevated to rank of Cabinet Minister for this term. During his first term 2014-2019 NSA was given rank of Minister of State (MoS).
About Ajit Doval
- He is a 1968-batch IPS officer. For over 33 years he worked as an intelligence officer during which he served in North East, Jammu and Kashmir and Punjab.
- The 74 year old Doval had also done several key diplomatic assignments in Pakistan and the United Kingdom (UK).
- He headed the Intelligence Bureau’s (IB) operations wing for over a decade including serving as Director of Intelligence Bureau (IB) from July 2004 to January 2005.
- Post retirement, he founded Vivekananda International Foundation, a public policy think tank headquartered in New Delhi.
- In May 2014, he was appointed as India’s fifth NSA. Under his supervision, Surgical strike was conducted in September 2016 (aftermath of Uri terror attack) and Balakot airstrike was conducted in February 2019 (aftermath of suicide attack on CRPF convey).
About National Security Advisor (NSA)
- NSA is the chief adviser to the prime minister of India on national and international security policy matters. He serves at the discretion of Prime Minister of India.
- NSA is now seen as the most powerful bureaucrat in the Government of India.
- This post was created in 1998 by then government of Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Since then either an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) or the Indian Police Service (IPS) serves the post. Senior IFS officer Brajesh Mishra was India’s first NSA (in office from November 1998-May 2004).
- NSA presides over the National Security Council (NSC). NSC was established in 1998. It is an executive government agency that oversees India’s political, economic, energy and security issues of strategic concern. It is a three-tiered organization comprising of Joint Intelligence Committee (JIC), Strategic Policy Group (SPG) and National Security Advisory Board (NSAB).
Tags: Ajit Doval • Balakot Airstrike • Cabinet Minister • JIC • Joint Intelligence Committee
Second Anniversary of Surgical Strike was celebrated as Parakram Parv or Surgical Strike Day on September 29 – 30, 2018 by Indian Army to showcase gallant action of brave Army in the conduct of Surgical Strikes on September 29, 2016. This day was also marked to remember sacrifice of soldiers during ‘Uri incident’.
The Parakram Parv celebrations were inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at ‘Combined Commanders’ Conference in Jodhpur, Rajasthan. Exhibition to highlight the valour and accomplishments of the Indian Army was also organised by Konark Corps at Jodhpur Military station.
Indian Army had carried out Surgical strike on the night of September 28-29, 2016 in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (PoK), 11 days after the Uri attack that claimed 18 soldiers. It was carried out by Para (Special Forces), commonly known as Para SF, is the special force unit of the Indian Army’s Parachute Regiments. The four hour surgical strike had inflicted heavy casualties on terrorists along with those protecting them, sending across message of change of stand on rules of engagement on the disputed Line of Control (LoC). The strike was conducted to prevent terrorists who were prepping to infiltrate and attack the Kashmir region and metros. It was claimed to be first-of-its-kind strike across the Pakistani border was based on specific intelligence reports.
It is essentially swift and targeted attack on specific target that aims to neutralise them while ensuring minimum collateral damage to surrounding areas, general public infrastructure, vehicles, buildings, utilities and most importantly civilians. Neutralisation of targets with surgical strikes also prevents escalation to full blown war between two countries. Surgical strikes are part of India’s Cold Start doctrine and have proved effective in foiling new infiltration bid by terrorists groups across LoC from Pakistani side who mainly attack several locations in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) and other metro cities in India.