Sushila Karki Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Constitutional Council of Nepal has selected Justice Sushila Karki (63) for the post of Chief Justice (CJ) of the Supreme Court of the country.
With this selection she will become 26th chief justice of the apex court and the first female CJ in Nepal’s history.
However, her nomination is expected to be confirmed by a Parliamentary Hearings Committee which endorses the recommendation.
She will succeed Kalyan Shrestha who retired from the top post. She shall have tenure of 1 year and retire in June 2017 upon reaching the age limit.
About Sushila Karki
- Born on June 7, 1952 in Biratnagar.
- She had completed a bachelor’s degree in law from Tribhuvan University in 1978. She has also done her post graduate in political science from Banaras Hindu University.
- Currently she is seniormost judge in the Supreme Court of Nepal. Since 2010, she is member of the International Association of Women Judges.
- She was appointed ad-hoc justice (judge) at the Supreme Court in January 2009 and as permanent justice on November 18, 2010.
- Prior to her appointment as judge of Supreme Court in 2009, she had served as a senior advocate. She was accorded the title of senior advocate in 2004.
- She also had served as President of the Appelate Court Bar Association Biratnagar for a term until 2004.
- She is known as human rights activist until her appointment to the Supreme Court and was associated with the Human Rights Organization and Amnesty International Nepal.
As per Nepal’s new Constitution, the president of the country appoints the Chief Justice on the recommendation of the Constitutional Council if the Parliamentary Hearings Committee endorses the recommendation.